Thursday, December 1, 2011

His Style Is Chaos Illumined By Flashes of Lightning

I have to admit I've never really considered myself a writer nor have I at any point had any desire to have/be involved in a blog but I have been a fan of the game of football as long as I can remember. (However as an American I just fairly recently started referring to it as football instead of soccer) I played for many years growing up and while I'm far from an expert, nor do I have the credentials to be a coach or manager, I do feel as if I have a very good general understanding of the game and many opinions on it.

Recently I was having a conversation via text with my buddy Eric , having our usual discussion of the recent events of English football and pieces from blogs we enjoy when the topic of Eric’s previous blogging came up. Needless to say, the man has missed it quite a bit since his last ventures in it. He, himself, is a writer, and a damn good one at that. I suggested he start his own blog to provide himself a place to put down and share his thoughts and provide an outlet for his regular musings into the strange and often times corrupt world that is football.

Anyway, once the topic came up a few ideas were tossed around and the man extended an invitation to me to contribute whenever possible to provide a little diversity to his works and maybe even entertain a bit while at it. With the offer on the table I was slightly honored to be a part of this and accepted with little hesitation. After all, Eric has been a longtime buddy of mine and I'm more than interested to see what he has to say and who or what will be the subject of his rants which are sure to follow.

Having read his previous efforts I can say that he never fails to entertain and is a well spoken, intelligent writer, who knows his stuff. I will always respect him for his knowledge of the game and its history as well as his ability to form opinions without bias. This is where he is well qualified to be the man writing the blog taking a critical look at the game and its many ups and downs that undoubtedly come year after year. That being said he does have teams/players he likes and supports as well as teams/players he cant stand just like the rest of us but I do know for a fact he calls it like he sees it and while he may be up front and in your face at times, he can always back up what he says and have reasoning behind it. Like he said already, feel free to exchange ideas.

As for me personally, I feel as if I contradict the mission statement here right off the front. I am very biased a lot of the time. I do give respect where respects due (A majority of the time. Some teams and players I will never respect regardless. I mean come on, Tottenham are the Lilywhites and their logo is a chicken standing on a fuckin beachball for fucksake. And don't get me started on the team that’s spent more money in the past two years than anyone in the history of the game. That’s right, fuck the oilers, er uh City), but a lot of my opinions are formed by where my loyalties lie. I am a die hard gooner. The Arsenal FC is by far the greatest team the world has ever seen after all. A fan for many years I can’t help but be slightly consumed by the goings on of the Arse. This being the case you can expect a lot of the pieces I post to involve AFC in one way or another if not completely be about them. I do not however feel this compromises the integrity of this blog as I am only a guest, who will be stopping in every week or so to share a few thoughts and fade into the background once again where I belong here. My role being as it is you may not hear from me as regularly and my posts might be short at times but hopefully I will provide a decent read, possibly a few laughs, and a few moments of entertainment on occasion.

Til next time- Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment